Summer weather in Williamsport can be brutal. But you don’t have to choose between being comfortably cool and saving money on your utility expenses. We’ve compiled some tips to make it simple.
The top thing you can do to stay comfy and ensure energy efficiency is by maintaining your air conditioner. ENERGY STAR® suggests keeping your system working reliably and efficiently, and Lycoming Heating Company is here to make that simple. During an AC tune-up appointment, we’ll perform the following tasks recommended by ENERGY STAR and more:
- Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors to ensure safe operation of your system and the opportunity of a longer lifespan for major components.
- Clean the air conditioner’s evaporator and condenser coils as need be. Dirty coils require your system to work harder to do its job.
- Check system controls to be sure of accurate and safe operation.
- Check refrigerant levels.
- Clean and adjust blower components to be sure of accurate system airflow.
Another key to keeping cool is routinely inspecting your air conditioner’s air filter. A dirty filter may raise energy bills and damage your equipment, leading to premature failure. Our Lycoming Heating Company pros will look at these for you at your tune-up appointment, but you’ll want to check the manufacturer’s recommendations to arrange your own schedule to switch them out.
Here are a handul of other tips to keep your home comfy and energy-efficient:
- Inspect thermostat settings to be sure your air conditioner keeps you comfortable when you are home and saves energy while you are gone.
- If you find yourself cool at night, you can turn off your air conditioner and open your windows. Let the night air cool your home for you! In the morning, shut your windows and window coverings to trap the cool air and block the sun’s heat.
- Utilize fans. An ENERGY-STAR ceiling fan will allow you to set your thermostat a tad higher than you routinely would without noting any changes in your comfort level.
- Another style of fan people often forget about when they’re attempting to keep cool is their bathroom ventilation fan. Make certain to run yours when you shower as well as 20 minutes or longer after you’re done to remove the heat and humidity from your house.
- Try not to leave lights on and running many appliances on the hottest days. Obviously, your stovetop and oven put heat into your home, but even normal activities like watching TV, working on the computer, and drying or curling your hair can up the heat in your home.
If you’d like extra ideas on how to keep your home cool and energy efficient this summer, give Lycoming Heating Company at call at 570-326-4450 or request an appointment with us online.