We all try little tricks to keep cozy when the temperatures drop in Williamsport. Sadly, a number of those remedies are really making us colder. One way you can definitely keep warm? Have the pros at Lycoming Heating Company do routine furnace maintenance!
Check out some of the common myths about what will warm you up when the temperatures decreases. These things are actually making you colder!
- Most body heat escapes through your head, a hat is all you need. Guard as much skin as possible to avoid heat loss. The amount of heat that disappears from your head is proportionate to the area of exposed skin in relation to the rest of your body. If more skin is out in the open, more heat will escape.
- Dark clothes absorb the heat from the sun. Light colors reflect light and should only be worn during the spring and summer. It’s true that white or light clothing will reflect the sun’s warmth. However, it may also help you keep your body heat by reflecting it back—essentially trapping your body warmth under your clothes.
- A steamy shower or bath will warm you up. Unfortunately, you’re only going to feel a bad chill when you leave the warm water. When you’re exposed to cold air, the water will evaporate off your skin leaving you feeling frigid.
- Alcoholic beverages can warm you up. Alcohol can warm up your skin, but it can also lower your core temperature. You’ll still be left feeling cold.
- Having warm drinks will keep you warm. This is a classic treatment for when you’re feeling cold. Nothing is more reassuring that the nice toasty feeling you get when you’re holding a warm mug. Unfortunately, after you drink a warm beverage, your body will work against you and try to cool itself.
Sadly, some of the classic ways we try to stay warm are making us colder. If you want a better way to keep warm, set up your routine furnace maintenance with Lycoming Heating Company in Williamsport. There’s no easier way to stay warm in your space than a furnace that’s running well. Call us today at [[phonenumber]] or schedule an appointment with us online!