Spring is in the air here in Williamsport and that means vacation plans are on the horizon. While you’re planning what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what stays behind, your home. The Lycoming Heating Company team has some tips that will assist in keeping your home protected and help save some money on your utility bills while you go on a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers – Timers are an inexpensive way to make your home appear as though you are home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a smart idea to program your lights to sync up with your usual schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter – If you have a reliable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater relief than a text while you’re away letting you know that everything at home is as it should be.
- Wait to share – We aren’t going to tell you not to share photos of your awesome trip on social media, but try to put it off until after you make it home to post information about your trip. Family and friends probably already know you’re leaving so there’s no need in letting potential criminals know your intentions. Everyone will be just as delighted by the wonderful things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail – The USPS has made it more effortless than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged – If an electrical item is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An effortless way to conserve energy while you’re out of town is to unplug some of your electronics. Something that you may overlook unplugging is your garage door. It will conserve energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat – If you’re on vacation there’s no sense keeping your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your usual level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some painless tips to add to your spring break prep checklist, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about safeguarding your home this season or want to review additional energy saving tips, give Lycoming Heating Company in Williamsport a call at 570-326-4450.