Your questions answered
Lycoming Heating Company in Williamsport can answer all your HVAC-related questions. Before you get on the phone, look to see if we already responded to your question online. If you don’t see your question in this list or want more information on a topic, give us a call at 570-326-4450. Our experts can give you the information you’re looking for in a jiffy.
Why does my home comfort system need regular maintenance?
Like any product you want to keep in good shape, HVAC equipment requires proper care in order to provide the greatest benefits. Trained professionals can service your heating and cooling products to ensure they’re working at their maximum potential and help prevent more costly repairs in the middle of the hottest or coldest months of the year.
How much is a new heating and air conditioner?
The cost can range depending on the equipment size and different features, so we advise contacting Lycoming Heating Company at 570-326-4450 to receive a quote.
What is two-stage heating?
With two-stage heating, furnaces may run on two different levels: high and low. Since you can heat your home on the low setting most of the time, a two-stage furnace can operate longer and more efficiently. Two-stage heating also operates more quietly than traditional furnaces and can provide more even heat distribution and fewer temperature swings.
Do the HVAC systems that Lycoming Heating Company carries offer different technologies?
Lycoming Heating Company offers several different brands and models that have advanced technology to help heat and cool your home more efficiently. Technology in the newer HVAC systems gives more precision when it comes to supporting your home comfort needs. If you need more information, please call our experts at 570-326-4450.
Will my new furnace work differently than my old one?
Modern furnaces are created with a host of innovative features older furnaces don’t have. Todays heating systems give you more even heating and are better at governing airflow. Although the air coming out of your vents may seem cooler than your old furnace, the airflow is much better and more efficient.
Another benefit of modern furnaces is their ability to operate with other HVAC products as part of a high-efficiency whole home comfort system. When combined with a high-efficiency air conditioner, furnace blowers can more easily accommodate add-on cooling. Other innovations, such as Precise Comfort technology and variable speed motors, will help your furnace run more efficiently and quieter than ever.
What is the energy efficiency standard for air conditioners?
The Department of Energy recently raised the minimum efficiency levels for air conditions, and the standards vary by region. Contact Lycoming Heating Company at 570-326-4450 to find the requirements for the Williamsport area.
How can I reduce my energy costs?
There are several ways to decrease your energy costs and one of the best ways is to make sure you have an energy-efficient HVAC system. Lycoming Heating Company offers many highly efficient products that will help reduce the amount of energy you are using and save you money. In addition to searching for products that have the Energy Star® certification, high SEER ratings for air conditioners or AFUE ratings for furnaces, here are some other things to consider:
- Remember to book routine maintenance and have an experienced contractor take a look at your system to confirm its running efficiently.
- If you have clear areas of your home that you need to heat or cool, you might consider a zoning system. This allows you to target that area and reduces wasted energy on heating or cooling areas that aren’t used.
- Programmable or smart thermostats make it simpler to maintain your home comfort while not using energy to heat or cool your space if you aren’t home. It is an easy way to lower energy costs and once you set it, you can walk away and know its going to take care of your indoor comfort.
What are the benefits of buying my new HVAC system from Lycoming Heating Company?
Lycoming Heating Company has been serving the Williamsport community for many years and has been delivering trustworthy and dependable service. Our service and the products we carry are of the highest quality and you won’t be disappointed in the results. Our well-trained team is here to help you reach your ideal home comfort.
How can I improve my home's indoor air quality?
There are four things to assess when enhancing your indoor air quality:
- The indoor air quality in your space starts to suffer when the air begins filling up with air pollutants. The biggest concern is removing these pollutants. Some to-dos to put on your weekly checklist is vacuuming, washing your linens and ensuring any cleaning products are stored properly.
- Especially in newer homes, the insulation is installed so well that it might be challenging for these pollutants to leave the home. While it helps to keep your home warm or cool, depending on the season, its important to get some fresh air inside.
- Make sure that you have good ventilation and schedule routine maintenance on your system. And while that’s helpful, you can also take your IAQ even further by using air filters, germicidal lights and purification systems to get rid of particles while eliminating chemical vapors.
- Smart or programmable thermostats can help control humidity levels as well as the temperature. This can help prevent germs and other particles from collecting while sustaining your home comfort.
How can I find out which indoor air quality product is right for my home?
Every home is different,, which is why we advise that you contact our team at Lycoming Heating Company to find out which solution will be best for your space. Our experienced technicians will conduct a review of your current system and discuss what your ideal home comfort looks like. That will help us determine which products will be most effective.
How does an air conditioner work?
You may be surprised to learn that air conditioners don’t technically make your home cooler; they actually remove the hot air and move it outside. This hot air is pushed across a refrigerant coil on the indoor unit and then is sent to the outdoor unit where it is released. Your air conditioner moves as much hot air outside as is necessary to reach the temperature you have set on your thermostat.
What is the minimum energy efficiency standard for air conditioners in my state?
Minimum energy efficiency standards vary by region. Additionally, air conditioners, heat pumps and packaged units made after Jan. 1, 2015, have higher minimum efficiency levels than equipment manufactured prior to that date. The team at Lycoming Heating Company can help you determine the minimum requirements for Williamsport, let you know if your current systems meets those requirements or help you find a replacement air conditioner that does.
How can I confirm the model and serial numbers for my cooling unit?
Your systems service panel has a white label on it, with your systems model and serial numbers at the top. M/N stands for model number and S/N is the serial number.
How do I estimate what size equipment I should purchase?
Since equipment size needs vary by home, the best way to determine the proper size equipment for your home is to have a technician from Lycoming Heating Company come out to perform load calculation tests. The tests take things like square footage, insulation value and amount, and more into account to determine your homes individual HVAC equipment needs.
Can frost, ice, dirt or other debris keep the outdoor unit of my cooling system from operating effectively?
Yes debris can affect your systems ability to function effectively. Its common for heat pumps to have frost or ice on them in the winter, but many include defrost controls so they can work efficiently regardless of the weather conditions.
What is two-stage cooling?
When a cooling system uses two-stage cooling, it means that there are two levels of operation. This allows the system to work as efficiently as possible since there is one level for milder weather and a second for harsher weather that demands the system work harder. Two-stage cooling also enables almost unnoticeable temperature changes so you don’t experience extreme differences in temperature. Aside from better efficiency, other benefits of two-stage cooling include quieter operation and enhanced humidity control.
Why is my cooling unit freezing up?
Your system could be freezing up for a couple of reasons, but the most typical are dirty filters, low refrigerant, a dirty evaporator coil and/or a faulty blower motor. Changing a filter is something any homeowner take care of; however, you’ll need to call the professionals at Lycoming Heating Company at 570-326-4450 for other problems or if you have other questions or concerns.
What is the best thermostat to use for my cooling system?
Lycoming Heating Company offers a number of great thermostat options for your HVAC systems. The best thermostat for you will depend on a couple variables, such as whether you want one that’s programmable or not. No matter what kind of thermostat you’d like or if you’re looking for something that can fit with a home automation system call Lycoming Heating Company to hear about which thermostats you can choose from. Our team will help you find one thats right for your system, your family’s needs and your budget.
What is a heat pump?
A heat pump can tackle both your homes heating and cooling needs, offering you one HVAC system that can be used year-round. Throughout the warmer months, heat pumps act like an air conditioner, capturing the hot air from inside your home and directing it outside; in the cooler months, this process is reversed. Heat pumps can be very energy efficient and may produce two to three times more heat than the energy needed for the process.
When replacing the outdoor unit, should the indoor unit also be replaced?
At Lycoming Heating Company, we do recommend replacing both your indoor and outdoor units at the same time because:
- Nowadays, outdoor systems are built to work with their matching indoor system for the highest efficiency possible. When you replace only one of your systems, you may not see the same savings on your energy bills as if you had replaced them together.
- Thanks to technological advancements, newer systems mean improved efficiency. This is true for heating and cooling products as well. While the advancements focus on higher heating and cooling efficiency, they also include benefits such as better air handling, filtering and noise reduction.
- If your heating and cooling systems are more than 10 years old, they need to be replaced. Older models have outdated technology that is likely contributing to higher energy bills due to poor efficiency. So by replacing your indoor system at the same time as your outdoor equipment, both your systems will provide better energy efficiency that helps you lower your energy bills and keep your home more comfortable.
Can I see whether my solar HVAC system is performing at its maximum potential?
Your home energy system may have a communication module that sends performance stats to an online site or portal. You can visit this to monitor your system’s status, the amount of energy being produced and the positive effect you are having on the environment. You can also take a look at your owner’s manual for tips on monitoring performance.
Do I need to clean off my solar modules?
Rain will clean the modules automatically in most areas; however, if you live in a dusty area, you may see improved performance after periodically spraying the modules with water. Please note that high-pressure hoses and detergents should never be used to clean solar modules, as they can ruin the product.
Which thermostat is best for my heating and cooling system?
Lycoming Heating Company can help you find the right thermostat for you based on your home and current heating and cooling equipment. We carry a number of programmable and nonprogrammable thermostats, which can help enhance the efficiency of your homes furnace and/or air conditioner. View our thermostats or give us a call at 570-326-4450 for more information.
How can I improve my utility costs?
A big portion of your monthly energy bills can be attributed to your heating and cooling system. It makes sense, because our home comfort is an important aspect of our day-to-day lives. Fortunately, there are high-efficiency solutions from Lycoming Heating Company that can keep you comfortable while also decreasing energy costs. When it’s time for you to shop for a new HVAC system, there are a couple things to consider. You’ll want to look for air conditioners with high SEER ratings and furnaces with high AFUE ratings. These ratings measure efficiency, so the bigger the number the better off you’ll be when it comes to saving on energy costs. You can also consider these tips:
- Keep your system operating to its best ability by arranging routine maintenance. It helps sustain efficiency and make sure everything is operating properly.
- Consider a zoning system if you only have certain rooms that need to be heated or cooled. There is no need to waste energy regulating the temperature in a room that is never, or rarely used.
- The U.S. Department of Energy says that programmable thermostats can save up to 35 percent on heating costs and 25 percent on cooling costs. There are a lot of programmable and smart thermostat choices that are easy to use and vary in the amount of features-so you can find an option that you are comfortable with.
Why should I get a zoning system?
A zoning system enables you to parcel your residence and heat or lower the temperature in each space differently. While these systems function well for buildings that have areas that are seldom visited, they may also be helpful in situations where you and your family argue about the temperature in various parts of your home. There are a number of additional benefits of zoning systems, like efficiency and comfort. Look through our selection of zoning systems or give Lycoming Heating Company a call to see how a zoning system could benefit your home.
We are ready to serve you